The Alliance for a Clean Romania is a civic initiative open to everybody who promotes the principles of good government and is willing to invest volunteer work, or offer their support by endorsing this idea – individuals, NGOs, unions, companies or institutions.
We plan to promote in practice the principles of good government:
- The government serves the citizen, not the other way around;
- A nation is a community of individuals equal before the law;
- For the prosperity of a country, it is necessary that the government enforces the law;
- All steps of the decision-making process must be transparent, from adopting a resolution to implementing it;
- Common goods and services are equally and impartially shared, without favoring the members of a political party or a group of interests;
- The government must be impartial towards private agents and must ensure them equal development conditions;
- In order to ensure economic growth, the government must allow the development of entrepreneurial attitudes, by reducing bureaucratic and operational costs for companies to a minimum, by simplifying the taxation system and by enforcing rules and laws indiscriminately;
- The elected officials are legitimate only if they also show responsibility for the rule of law and for their constituents in-between, not only during elections;
- Citizens and companies who avoid paying their dues to the government are not only defrauding the state, but also the other citizens and companies;
- Only laws that are clear, predictable and in accordance with civil rights are worthy of being observed;
- The presumption of innocence applies both to citizens and government.
The scope of the Alliance is to ensure communication with general audiences, in order to individually involve as large a number of citizens as possible, valued stakeholders, interested in civic movements, local governments, and transparency in decision making. We wish to stimulate and support a national network of active contributors fighting against corruption and to make the www.romaniacurata.ro portal available as a source of reference for interested agents.
The objective of the Alliance for a Clean Romania is to develop a coalition founded on corporative partnership and to reach out to the private sector. The latter is the main beneficiary of a clean society, but so far it has been its least interested supporter.
Presently, the ACR comprises the following organizations:
- The Romanian Academic Society
- Freedom House Romania
- Alma Mater
- The Group for the University Reform
- The Romanian Center for European Policies
- The Romanian National Alliance of Student Organizations
- The Timisoara Society
- The Center for Independent Journalism
- The Cultural Association Ariergarda
- Save Bucharest
- The Group for Social Dialogue
- Cartel Alfa
Also, we have the support of a group of 16 friends, public figures from the academic environment, artists, historians, journalists, medical doctors, writers, politicians, trade unionists and NGO volunteers.
Financed by: CEE Trust, Balkan Trust for Democracy