The project contributes to combating discrimination and hate speech in higher education in order to achieve an academic environment free of discrimination. This objective will be achieved by increasing the capacity of universities, the Ministry of Education and of students to adequately respond to discrimination. At the moment, there is no data available on the level of discrimination in universities, yet studies have shown that intolerant attitudes are widespread among young people. The Romanian Academic Society (SAR) and its partners, NCCD and CEDS aim to assess the level of discrimination and to formulate policy recommendations for the relevant ministries; rules and procedures for universities and to create a network of volunteer- students to report on university regulations and on cases of discrimination. The Partners will engage students and university professors in 10 universities, student associations, professors’ unions, policy-makers as well as the media and bloggers active in the education and anti-discrimination policy areas, in the project’s activities. Also, they will establish institutional partnerships with and among them.
The overall objective of the project is to combat unequal treatment and hate speech in higher education in order to achieve an academic environment free of discrimination by increasing the capacity of universities, the Ministry of Education and students to adequately respond to this phenomenon.
1. Assessing, for the first time in Romania, the level of discrimination and hate speech in universities and the degree of awareness of this phenomenon.
2. Formulating policy recommendations for addressing the problems identified in the study on the level of discrimination and hate speech in universities, in order to capacitate the Ministry of Education and leading universities in Romania.
3. Increasing the capacity of public and private universities in Romania to manage discrimination problems and hate speech by developing and implementing internal procedures for referral, resolution and reporting of cases.
4. Increasing the capacity of university students as well as teaching and administrative staff to report cases of discrimination and hate speech in Romanian universities, to anti- discrimination NGO’s, the general public, and institutions with competences in this field.
5. Increasing the capacity of the Ministry of Education to evaluate and report on discrimination and hate speech in public and private universities in Romania and to develop policies in order to discourage this phenomenon.
6. Establishing institutional connections between universities and students’ associations and trade, on the one hand, and the National Council for Combating Discrimination on the other.
Implementation period: June 15, 2014 – December 14, 2015.
Links: http://universitaticurate.ro/antidiscriminare, https://www.facebook.com/egalitateinuniversitate
This project has been financed by the EEA Grants 2009 – 2014, within the framework of the NGO Fund in Romania. For official information about the EEA Grants please visit www.eeagrants.org.